Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Three Angry Fish-Men

Seeing all the boats come in and out of here I remember a little incident we had as we were going in to land at an island, just after my laptop exploded. Some of the waters off the Kesatan islands get pretty crowded. In fact, it can get so bad that they commissioned these force-field barriers and with little floating docks out away from the shore to keep the boats from getting too close to the reef communities on some of the larger islands.

Anyway, we were headed for one of these bigger islands as a stopping place, when another speedboat a lot like ours came blazing out of the docks and hit us from the side. Of course immediately, both boats stopped. The one that had just hit us filled with Kesatans of various age and appearance, and most of them were sort of cowering in the back while the two boat pilots stood up and started croaking and flailing at each other, signing furiously and violently with their colors flashing brightly and quickly to the point of strobing. I saw one small Kesatan in the other boat attempting (unsuccessfully) to blend into a corner (these boats aren't easy for Kesatans to use their camouflage against, but I'm pretty sure the kid was giving it his best shot).

Meanwhile, another Kesatan comes up riding one of these tame giant fish (or eels or whatever-they are), stands up, with reins still in hand, and joins in the whole thing. About this time I asked my yela'kaja about what they are saying and, if memory serves, I believe he said something like, "Oh, these fish-men do this all the time."

About that time, the other yela'kaja (the one in the form of a Kesatan) croaked for attention and said something to the pilot that I presume was along the lines of "Get us to shore before we sink," (we were starting to take on water from the crash) and we started heading in to port. Needless to say, that was a very interesting experience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, poor kid, having to watch his parents be idiots. I remember one time I was learning to drive, and the car broke down and some guy behind me started honking. I wanted to crawl under the seat when my dad got out of the car! So do these people drive like angry New Yorkers or what??

Unknown said...

That's about what it's like sometimes, especially some of these stupid little tourist spots we stop at.

BTW, I don't think the driver was one of the kid's parents. Kesatans kind of raise their children communally, so they tend to pass among dozens of babysitters rather than staying with their own family. I'm not sure if the average Kesatan even knows who his parents are.