Monday, June 25, 2007

From Kesatan City 32

Recently we've come out to a settlement out in the middle of the ocean for a bit of a rest. It's called Kesatan City 32. The yela'kaja tells me that these "cities" are pretty recent. Apparently Xala technology is extending the Kesatans live and making it so more of the eggs survive, so the coasts are nearly full.

I'll let him explain that further whenever he's around to contribute, but I'm just up on top of this big settlement and remembering those big Xala cities we flew past back on Jed. It's basically the same big cylindrical housing units, except that instead of floating way up in the air on some sort of anti-gravity, these are sunk half into the water. We did a little tour of it when I got here, both above and below water, and I keep remembering that weird walk-through theater where we saw that Kesatan ballet. It's the same sort of deal with Xala technology and Kesatan art, though there seems to be more metal than coral on these settlements.

They evacuated the water from some of the lower levels (a lot of them are flooded at least halfway up most of the time, as Kesatans need to be in salt water most of the time). From down there you can see that the Kesatans use the big hollow core for something other than an access shaft. I recognized lots of different fish and squid and plants from the underwater farms we saw on some of the islands. Apparently they don't need pens as much here, either, as most of the stuff they farm never dives below the level of the bottom of these cylinders and really couldn't leave if it could. There's a good deal of coral on the inside to anchor mussels and seaweed and such.

Anyway I'm going to be on about the third level up from the water for a while, resting, so I might be able to catch up with some of the stuff I missed blogging when my computer exploded, especially know that I think I've got the hang of using this Xala Internet-access typing whatchamajigger. So, look out for some stories about Kesata.

No comments: