Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Alien Symphony

We saw that concert today. The yela'kaja, who has much better hearing than I do, tells me that most of the Tzállö actually stopped clicking or at least slowed down and quieted their patterns during the piece. He told me it's the equivalent of a human closing his eyes while enjoying the music, "Maybe we should do the same. I have not heard much music before, besides the drum dances on Jed." I agreed, of course. It's not like there was much to see. We weren't in the front row by a long shot, more like a kind of balcony seat, and my light could just barely reach the orchestra. So I shut it off and closed my eyes.

Of course, as I've come to expect touring different planets with cultures that evolved completely independent of Earth, it was a very new experience. I could feel the rhythm of the music well, but the scales were really strange to me, like they just threw in a bunch of random in-between notes. But I got used to it, and the generally distinct sound of Tzállö music. I have no idea what the names of the songs are -- the signs are in Fbeki and I didn't ask the yela'kaja to translate. The biggest surprise to me is that the songs actually didn't hit many high notes, and the highest notes I heard were very clear so I'm sure there was none of the ultrasonic sound you hear. I asked my yela'kaja about this and he explained it this way:
The Tzállö don't think of all sound and hearing as equal. What you consider their sense of hearing they divide into two distinct senses: syfko -- which translates into English as echolocation or biosonar -- and ghuufly -- which translates as your concept of hearing. Since too much noise in the ultrasonic range can disrupt syfko, Tzállö universally attempt to avoid sounds in or near that range, to the point of designing their electronic and mechanical devices specifically for noise-reduction in the syfko frequencies. Naturally, then, no Tzállö culture has ever incorporated a significant amount of ultrasonic notes into their music.

Anyway, after the concert I was allowed on the stage to look at the different instruments. The general types that humans have are there: wind, string, brass, percussion. But they're all just a bit different. A few of the Tzállö musicians stayed around to show me how their instruments work. They have a couple of different instruments that look kind of like flutes or clarinets, a bunch of instruments that are apparently played like brass instruments -- which a Tzállö's big lips come in handy for -- a didgeridoo-like instrument with about three keys for different pitches (it's called a ghuubhuu), a few big drums and a couple of mallet instruments that work like xylophones and marimbas (though the arrangement of the bars isn't recognizable at all).

So, I guess this'll be the thing that'll bring me back to this planet if I get the chance to come. Kesatans have good food, Tzállö have good music. Not sure if its worth the quarantine, though.

No comments: